Uganda/ 23 March 2021/ Source/ https://www.thestar.com/
Position **: Education in Emergencies (EiE) Advisor**
Starting date **: May 2021**
Duty station **: Kampala, ZOA Uganda**
Reports to **: Manager of Programme Quality**
Date of posting **: 17th March 2021**
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for an:
Education and Emergencies (EiE) Advisor
The Education in Emergencies (EiE) Advisor is the technical lead in the area of EiE and basic education, and ensures quality implementation and donor compliance of ZOA Uganda’s education projects. S/He ensures that training of staff and partners, technical monitoring and coaching is carried out regularly. The EiE Advisor is responsible for overseeing proposal development and exploring new EiE project opportunities on behalf of ZOA Uganda. The position requires significant time spent at project locations and in coordination with partners and donors.
Place in organisation
The EiE Advisor is employed by ZOA and is line managed by the ZOA Manager of Programme Quality who heads the Programme Quality Department within ZOA Uganda. The position is based in Kampala.
The EiE Advisor is in regular contact with the ZOA MEAL Coordinator, the Programme Managers of ZOA’s regional offices in West Nile, Acholi and Karamoja Regions, as well as Project Managers managing ZOA education projects. Other sector specialists within the Programme Quality Department are also team members.
The EiE Advisor does not line manage staff but will be responsible for consultants or short term contractors, as well as supporting and capacity strengthening local partners with whom ZOA collaborates in the education projects.
The position is recruited on the M2 scale (Sector Specialist) in the ZOA Uganda salary scale.
Responsibilities and main activities
The main responsibility of the EiE Advisor is to ensure high quality EiE programme design, implementation and evaluation of projects by providing technical support with expertise and knowledge of EiE. The EiE Advisor is responsible for the development of high quality EiE / basic education project proposals for potential donors.
- Provides high quality technical support to the implementation of ZOA Uganda’s EiE programme; supporting education projects throughout the project management cycle, including technical review of procurement tasks;
- Develops and upholds a coherent ZOA Uganda EiE strategy in line with national and/or international trends, approaches and standards.
Learning and capacity strengthening
- Contributes to the development and implementation of EiE Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) plans;
- Contributes to learning and knowledge development for ZOA (worldwide) specifically related to Education in Emergencies (EiE) and basic education in recovery context; with a specific focus on early grade reading, inclusive education, gender and (child) safeguarding and protection;
- Builds capacity of education project staff on key project concepts and EIE approaches; builds capacity and ensures capacity strengthening of co-implementing partner(s) in line with identified needs;
- Recommends strategic training opportunities for project staff.
- Scopes for new opportunities for ZOA Uganda;
- Leads or participates in development of high quality education project proposals;
- Collaborates with finance department for proposal budget development.
- Reviews and where required leads the writing of donor reports in line with contractual obligations;
- Contributes to ZOA’s quarterly and annual reports and the Country Strategic Annual Plan (CSAP).
- Builds and upholds relationships with key EiE stakeholders in Uganda, specifically with Education Consortium partners, the Consortium Management Unit (CMU), and other education actors across the country;
- Represents ZOA Uganda externally in relevant EiE and basic education planning and coordination meetings, specifically at national level – e.g. the EiE Working group and applicable task teams.
- Provides input to communication and visibility efforts, e.g. online, printed materials, ZOA’s international website;
- Supports the recruitment of project staff; when necessary reviewing the job descriptions, participating in job interviews;
- Any other duty assigned by the Manager of Programme Quality or Country Director.
Characteristics of role
The EiE Advisor will be based at the ZOA office in Kampala. Regular field visits to the project locations/other districts in the region are anticipated, for several days at a time.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during proposal submission and reporting periods.
Competencies – knowledge and experience
- University degree (Master’s preferred) in Education, Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relations or other relevant field;
- At least 5 years of delivering high quality EiE response and recovery programmes in displacement and/or post-conflict contexts;
- Sound understanding of the EiE landscape, including major trends and developments in the education sector, both on a national and global level (with a main focus on primary education);
- Demonstrated experience in EiE programming in Uganda and beyond, including knowledge of INEE minimum standards, CHS and child protection/child safeguarding with children in (post) conflict areas;
- Strong track record and (lead) writing experience in successful proposal development proposals to institutional donors (e.g. ECW, UN, EU, BPRM, USAID, etc.) and foundations, both standalone and in consortia;
- Strong reporting and writing skills;
- Experience working in consortia and with local partners; experience representing the organisation externally;
- Experience with supporting (the development of) early grade reading programmes, teacher training, child safeguarding & protection, inclusive education and/or SEL/MHPSS is considered an asset;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English.
Competencies – behaviour
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity/)
- High level of networking capacities, with interpersonal, organizational and intercultural sensitivity
- Outstanding communication, writing and facilitation skills
- Able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Self-motivator and goal-oriented; able to work independently and with limited supervision;
- Able to plan and coordinate and work in an organized manner
- Strong (participatory) training skills
- Innovative, creative, and enthusiastic
- Provides regular feedback, acknowledges success and identifies need for improvement;
- Coaches, challenges and provides opportunities for growth for project staff.
- Good computer skills: Ms Excel and Ms Word;
- Ability to work in an innovative environment where plans are developed fast, flexible, adaptable and open for change
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the link below.
Please upload a CV (no more than 2 pages). Also upload a cover letter (1 page) and append to the cover letter (in the same document) an example of your writing, e.g. a technical brief, concept note, report or article on a subject related to Education in Emergencies / Basic Education. This information will be held confidentially by ZOA Uganda and will not be shared outside of the recruitment process
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment.
Qualified female candidates and or individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
“Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; ZOA Uganda may invite candidates for interview before the closing date”