Department: Programmes & Innovation
Location: Rome, Italy
Reports: Senior Specialist, Manager Education Programmes
Duration: 1 year (possible extension based on funds availability)
The position is part of the International Programmes and Innovation Department, which is composed of International Programme Officers with a geographical focus, International Programme Specialists in JRS’s priority areas of intervention, the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, and the Grants Unit.
Main responsibilities of the position
1. Technical Advice and Support
· Ensure that JRS education projects, especially those involving teacher training and professional development and inclusive education for people with disabilities, are implemented with quality and fidelity to recognized global standards for education in emergencies, including the INEE Minimum Standards, and Core Humanitarian Standards
· Provide feedback and assistance to JRS staff implementing or supervising education projects through diverse channels, including email, teleconference, and in-person visits to the field
· Work collaboratively with other education specialists at the global and regional levels to provide targeted support to enhance the quality and scope of JRS education projects
· Participate, both as a lead and supporting researcher, in needs analyses, monitoring visits, and evaluation exercises, performing duties not limited to: preparing terms of reference for missions, choosing appropriate research methods for the identified objectives, leading research teams in the field, collecting and analyzing data, drafting reports, and presenting findings through multiple modalities.
2. Programme Management
· Oversee global portfolio of education projects in two areas: Teacher Formation & Professional Development, and Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities.
· Maintain active records (e.g. database, project plans, reports, etc.) on projects
· Maintain active communication channels with relevant regional, country, and project staff working on projects through email, telemeetings, newsletters, and other means.
· Consult with country, regional, and international Programmes Officers to monitor funding needs of projects
· Identify potential partners to engage, including potential donors / funding opportunities
· Provide technical input and support to preparation of project plans and funding proposals
· Lead global monitoring, evaluation, and learning efforts, consulting closely with IO M&E Unit, relevant regional specialists, and external researchers / teams
· Identify, document, and disseminate lessons learned from projects to share internally and externally through various means, including virtual engagements, articles, conferences, learning sessions, etc.
· Develop and monitor global programme implementation plans and budgets
3. Capacity Building / Training
· Continuously update knowledge of good practices, relevant global standards, and emerging understandings in the two programme areas, as well as broadly in the education in emergencies sector
· Develop materials and resources, including virtual content and trainings, targeted to JRS staff seeking to upgrade skills or knowledge in programme areas and education in emergencies more broadly.
· Facilitate learning opportunities virtually and in-person for JRS staff
Qualification and Competencies
o Master level degree or specialization in Education or bachelor’s degree in other relevant areas supported by a minimum of 7 years of experience
o At least 5 years of work experience in a similar role
o A minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience, including supervision of remote teams
o Field experience required
o Proven experience in project and budget management
o Excellent English, both verbal and written
o Excellent writing, editing, verbal communications skills and presentation capacities, able to persuasively articulate JRS’s message and impact to external audiences
o Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365
o Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural, international, professional environment
o Strong ability to innovate in a changing environment and promote creativity within the organisation
o Strong analytical, strategic-thinking, and planning skills
o Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or other languages
o Working knowledge of JRS programmes is an asset
o Previous working experience with faith-based organisations is an asset
o Understanding of and commitment to humanitarian relief work and international humanitarian standards
Core values and ethics
o Commitment to JRS’s mission, vision and values; ability to convey with enthusiasm JRS’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and to advocate for their right to protection and a life in dignity
o High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with people, situations and information
o Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value
Terms and Conditions
Please note that this position is only open to candidates who possess EU citizenship or other legal authorization to work in the European Union.
Contract is for 1 year with an initial probationary period of 3 months. The JRS remuneration policy is aligned with the JRS ethos to offer effective and professional services and at the same time express solidarity with the people served. The salary range starts from Euro 48.000 gross annual. **
How to apply
How to apply
All applicants are requested to submit the following documents through JRS Careers web page by clicking this link no later than 10 April 2021:
- A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how her/his qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English, including three (3) professional references with contact information, phone and email address.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in joining JRS